Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Review

When I turn on the radio in the morning and hear the music of today's top artists, it really is depressing to hear how simple the music is and how the general public likes it. This music is so degrading that it would easily make Beethoven roll over in his grave. In terms of the guitarist, they play simple riffs repeated over and over. For drums, I could honestly teach ANYONE the drumbeat to the "Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani for example in approximately three and half minutes. If you look at the rap industry, the amount of teenagers that enjoy this genre is substantial. This music is simply a synthesizer which produces the "beat" and a rapper. Anyone can rap, end of story. However, I respect this genre because I can not "spit beats" the way 50 Cent can so therefore I respect it. To sum this up as a whole, one statement can me made. Simple music for simple minds. However, this term is often harsh and often offends people therefore I prefer, "Simple music for simple musical minds." Rap is more classified as entertainment than actually music. Some say its poetry, but as a whole, I would say its more insulting ideas or rap icons. For these reasons, music has definitely gone downhill and I hope one day the quality music (which doesn't have to be jazz or classical) will come back and the human race will appreciate music for having depth, meaning, and complexity.

No comments: